500 grams/ 1 lb Red lentils
4 large carrots finely grated or chopped in a food processor
2 medium potatoes finely grated or hopped in a food processor
2 litres/ 4 pints of vegetable stock (Chicken or Ham stock is fine if preferred)
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Sprinkling of dried chilli flakes to taste
Freshly chopped Coriander to garnish if you have it or dried coriander
- Place the Red Lentils, carrots, potatoes in a large stock pot and stir well.
- Add the pepper, chilli flakes and stock stirring well boil for ten minutes – scooping off any scum from the red lentils.
- Turn on low to simmer for twenty to thirty minutes.
- Serve with fresh bread or croutons.
- Garnish with chopped coriander fresh or dried to taste.
3 litres/ 6 pints vegetable stock or boiling water
3 Large carrots peeled and diced
1 swede peeled and diced
4 medium potatoes peeled and diced
150 grams/6 ozs Red lentils
300grams or 1 tin of chopped tomatoes or passatta
1 desert spoon each of Thyme, Sage, Marjoram, Rosemary
6 bay leaves – remove after cooking
Freshly ground black or mixed peppercorns
Chilli flakes – optional sprinkle during cooking
Salt to taste
- Pour stock into a large stock pot adding the ingredients stirring well.
- Bring to boil for ten minutes, stir well.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring throughout to prevent the lentils and ingredients sticking to the base of the pan.
- Taste to check season to taste.
Serve with grated cheese*and fresh bread and butter –
*my son’s personal favourite