I am writing about this as
I have researched and read much into these conditions
being unsure exactly what is wrong with me
and not getting further support from the doctors and consultants
as well as having friends in a similar situation
which is equally dis-heartening.
Bloatedness can be due to Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD), which includes Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis (UC) as well as a separate condition which some sufferers unfortunately also suffer from of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). As with all of these conditions sufferers feel bloated as well as more embarrassing concerns over excess wind (although we each produce up to 5 Litres a day) as well as its effects of noisy tummy gurgles and embarrassing flatulence (breaking wind.) However there can be other causes which doctors are unwilling to assist and support such as hormone imbalance and water retention (both common in woman) which I believe is far more common and if attended to may save a lot of needless drugs and prescription!
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is a different condition to IBD although both UC and Crohn’s often have a greater risk of IBS as sufferers of IBD sometimes have IBS. Sadly, short-term damage (which takes about four weeks to renew) to nerve endings in the intestine, caused by inflammations; an attack of UC is normally followed on by irritable bowel symptoms, including bloating which sadly may last for several weeks or even months.
There has been an increased amount of research on bloating which indicates and confirms:
- That people with IBS often have increased gut sensitivity, (of which I personally know how irritating this can be) causing feelings of bloatedness even without excess of wind.
- IBS attacks may be triggered by stress, (many of us as sufferers know stress, diet, lack of sleep, work cause IBS) this increased sensitivity is thought it could be the result of the stress affecting the normal communications between the brain and the gut. My personal experiences was that a result doctors wanted to prescribe anti-depressants which caused further side effects which prevented me from continuing one was that I could not sleep; felt dizzy; disengaged like I was high on drugs; another hiccups and another yawning – as a result I refused to take them and there was nothing else they could do for me.
- Sluggish bowel; therefore more likely if or when you have constipation, also a feature of Crohn’s or UC or IBS. Excess amounts of fatty food often delays intestines and stomach emptying again causing bloating as well as enormous discomfort due to the slow transit of waste materials.
- Adhesions (scar tissue) as a result of many operations – however the consultants and doctors I have seen who have researched into these conditions dismiss scar tissue of which I have had two Caesarian sections; yet friends and sufferers considers it a possibility.
Although we may be unaware apparently we produce up to 5 litres of gas a day and expel some 20 plus times! However excess wind is generally thought to be caused by the following reasons:
- Swallowing too much air while eating or whilst talking.
- Nervous reaction
- Specific foods
- Fizzy or carbonated drinks
- Increased or over-production of gas by the bacteria in the large intestine -colon; gas produced is used by other bacteria, in beneficial ways, but the system can get out of balance.
- Poor digestion as well as a subsequent absorption of foods in the small intestine; common in Crohn’s disease as more undigested food reaches the large intestine leading to increased gas production with foods high in carbohydrates, especially sugars and starches, such as vegetables, beans, pulses, fruit, and whole grains.
- Foods with Sorbitol an artificial sweetener which can also be poorly digested.
- Lactose intolerance, difficulties digesting the sugar in cows milk due to the absence of the enzyme lactase – which as we age we require less of.
Whilst I know that I hate to speak or drink fizzy drinks when eating and cannot tolerate dairy, wheat many fruit or vegetables. I know that if my system is out of balance then I suffer painful cramps in my stomach – I have found eating Dairy free Bio yogurt; Alpro, assists me to feel more comfortable.
- Aloe Vera capsules or gels
- Charcoal tablets
- Cranberry juice
- Fresh parsley
- Herbal infusions, such as camomile,
fennel or peppermint
- Peppermint oil
- Healthy diet low fat and sugar
- Elimination of foods which cause problems
- Diarrhoea suffer disruptive embarrassing uncontrollable emergency WC visits (sharonac72.wordpress.com)
- Could your IBS, constipation, or diarrhea really be SIBO? (drbradshook.com)
- Natural Help To Relieve Irritable Bowel Syndrome Symptoms (smmirror.com)
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome: A Nightmare which can be fixed by changing Lifestyle (draggarwal.org)
- Herbs & spices aid digestion – a happier inside out life! (sharonac72.wordpress.com)
- IBS with Diarrhea (liveto110.wordpress.com)
- What Causes Lactose Intolerance (todayifoundout.com)
- Science-Based Guide To Happy Gut And Healthy Skin (acneeinstein.com)
- Recipes (sharonac72.wordpress.com)