Ingredients for the cake
100 grams dark brown muscovado sugar
175 grams self-raising flour or gluten free alternative
125 ml full fat milk or dairy free alternative
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
50 grams unsalted butter (melted) or dairy free alternative
200 grams chopped dates
For the sauce
200 grams dark brown muscovado sugar approx.
25 grams unsalted butter cut into little blobs or dairy free alternative
500 ml boiling water
• Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas mark 5/375ºF and butter a 1½ litre / 6 cups capacity pudding dish.
• Combine the 100g / ½ cup of dark muscovado sugar with the flour in a large bowl.
• Pour the milk into a measuring jug, beat in the egg, vanilla and melted butter and then pour this mixture over the sugar and flour, stirring – just with a wooden spoon – to combine.
Fold in the dates then scrape into the prepared pudding dish – if it doesn’t look very full: it will once cooked.
• Sprinkle over the 200g / 1 cup of dark muscovado sugar and dot with the butter.
• Pour over the boiling water – really? Yes!
• Bake in the oven for 45 minutes, check in case the pudding needs 5 minutes more.
• Once cooked the top of the pudding is springy and spongy; however underneath, the butter, dark muscovado sugar and boiling water have turned into a rich, sticky sauce.
Serve with free from or dairy vanilla custard, ice cream, creme fraiche, double or single cream – enjoy!
Posted from WordPress