Liquorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra):
- Enabling the body to cope with stressful conditions
- Beneficial effect on the adrenal glands after steroid therapy
- Cough mixture
- Stomach/gastro-intestinal ulcers
- Inhibits growth of tumours
- Gentle laxative
Warning: risk of potassium loss may cause high blood pressure
Please read my previous post for more information on side-effects:
1 cm piece of liquorice root, chopped
1 cm piece of cinnamon stick
1/2 teaspoon of fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon of ginger root, chopped
200ml cold water
Put all ingredients into a small saucepan and bring to the boil, simmer gently for five minutes strain and serve.
Ice cold Liquorice Tea
• Water, 6 cups
• Licorice Root, 2½ tsp. (dried)
• Cinnamon Stick, 1
• Peppermint, ½ cup (dried)
• Honey, ½ cup
- Take a large pot and pour water into it.
- Keep the pot over high heat and bring the water to boil.
- Then, add licorice and cinnamon to the boiling water, and lower the heat to simmer the liquid.
- Then cover the pot partially, with a lid and simmer it for 10 more minutes.
- Remove the pot from heat, and add peppermint to the liquid.
- Cover the pot completely and let it steep for 10 minutes.
- Now, strain the tea and add honey to it.
- Let the tea cool completely, and then place the jug to refrigerate.
- Serve with ice cubes.