~ Rosemary socca bread ~
~ Gluten free Chickpea/Gram flour ~
Socca is an uncomplicated traditional delicious bread peppery-hot, with a gorgeous rosemary smell and flavour.
Traditionally baked in a wood-burning oven using a copper pan, and now very hot oven at home.
Gluten free therefore ideal substitute for cereal and grain based breads.
~ Preparation time ~ 10 minutes
~ Cooking time ~ 9 – 11 minute
~ Serves ~ 6 – 8
~ Ingredients :
450 grams/ 1lb Chickpea or gram flour now available in most supermarkets, health food, Indian and Middle Eastern
600 ml warm water
150 ml virgin olive oil – divided into two cups with 75 ml each
large handful of washed and dry fresh rosemary leaves or optional variations below the recipe
1 teaspoon baking powder – optional not traditional bread is lighter with it
1 teaspoon freshly ground rock salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground mixed peppercorns
- Large mixing bowl
- Oven proof dish to prove and bake in
- Pastry brush
- Metal spoon
- Measuring jug
- Two cups
- 50 cm round stone dish or similar
~ Method to make the Chickpea batter:
- Sift the chickpea flour into a large mixing bowl.
- Adding the pepper, salt, baking powder.
- Make a well in the middle slowly pouring in the water – whisking constantly to eliminate lumps.
- Then slowly stir in half the olive oil mixing in thoroughly until the dough is runny.
- Add the rosemary or any other additional ingredients
- Cover with cloth and leave in a warm place overnight or set aside while the oven warms – if you do not have time or patience!
~ To bake:
- Preheat oven to very hot 240C or 470F or Gas mark 9.
- Heat a dry, round 50cm (20 inch) stone dish, or equivalent, for about 5 minutes.
- Remove to brush oil evenly over the hot dish.
- Pour in the batter, spread thinly.
- Place straight in oven while dish is hot.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until bread is firm and starting to brown.
- Remove the socca bread from the oven.
- Brush top lightly with olive oil.
- Place under a hot grill until the top turns a golden with brown tips.
- Slice into wedges and serve hot.
~ Variations to add into the batter:
- finely chopped onion
- sun dried tomatoes
- chopped black olives
- Substitute fresh rosemary for fresh thyme, oregano or basil.
~ Variations to serve:
Salad ~ Boiled egg, fish, olives, tomatoes, spicy salad leaves
Buffet ~ Serve with dips, anti-pasti, cold meats
Pizza base ~ add preferred toppings such as tomatoes, olives, cold meats, halloumi, feta or ricotta cheese, thinly sliced vegetables such as artichokes, seafood and herbs.
Autumnal A’s Pumpkin soup: https://sharonac72.wordpress.com/2012/08/25/as-simple-autumnal-pumpkin-soup/
- honeyed fig & onion dessert socca (cozywalls.com)
- Gluten Free Pull-Aparts: Garlic & Parmesan or Pizza Pull Aparts (glutenfree.wordpress.com)
- how to make gluten-free breadsticks (glutenfreegirl.com)
- Socca with Parsley Salad (simpleprovisions.com.au)
- Gluten-Free French Toast (redtri.com)